[jboss-dev] Re: Sep/14th cutoff date for component updates in AS5 Beta3

Bela Ban bela at jboss.com
Sun Sep 9 06:29:48 EDT 2007

Brian Stansberry wrote:
> I'll respond to your last point first, as it's the "bottom line."
> Other responses in-line.
>
> My impression when you first asked on this thread yesterday is you'd
> decided you really did not want to disrupt your 2.6 roadmap in order
> to get it in AS 5, and were seeking buy-in from Dimitris and myself.
> Seems I was mistaken.

No, I said I would cut a 2.6 *before* the planned release data, with
come features pushed into 2.7, if you guys were willing to accept it
into AS 5. Of course, since this is more work for me, I would not mind
if I didn't have to do it ... :-)

> If 2.6 can't interoperate with 2.5, we should get 2.6 in AS 5.

2.6 is backward compatible with 2.5 if you don't use the new connect()
call added in 2.6.

> I'd think there'd be no problem upgrading across minor releases if we
> went from 5.0.x to 5.1.0, but there would likely be a problem if we
> went from 5.0.0 to 5.0.1.

That is my understanding too. And if we go for 5.0/2.5 and 5.1/2.6, then
we would *not* support the 5.1/2.6 combo; according to the standard Red
Hat policy, customers would have to upgrade to 5.1 to use 2.6.

> Either way, this points to a larger issue where it's unclear what the
> big picture AS roadmap is. Do we want to do a bunch of 5.0.x releases,
> or fairly shortly after 5.0.0 go to a 5.1.0?

I'm interested in the answer to this too...

>> Yes. But remember, this is a new method, we do *not* overload the
>> existing connect().
>>

> Still confused; this and your answer to the above seem to contradict.
> But no matter, I'll understand when I look at the API. :)

My yes was to "is it absolutely necessary to throw exceptions?", *NOT*
to "is upgrading to 2.6 a must", maybe that's the src of the confusion.

> Key thing is 2.5 and 2.6 can't interoperate.

No, not true, they can if you don't use the new connect() methods.

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team