[jboss-dev] AS5 Beta3 status - Sep/20th

Dimitris Andreadis dandread at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 13:02:55 EDT 2007

PROGRESS
- MC and AOP work for Beta3 is finished, thanks to both teams!

Component Updates
-----------------
- JBossTS upgraded to 4.3.0.BETA1 - thanks Jonathan
- Moved to JGroups 2.5 - watch for problems especially with JBM 1.4.0, thanks Brian
- Remoting 2.2.2.SP1 - thanks Ron
- Security libs tagged at 2.0.1.BETA1, JASPI api at 1.0-Beta12, thanks Anil.
- Included Hibernate Validator with the server libs
- JBoss Common-core, currently on snapshot

Key JBAS Issues
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-4423 (Anil)
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-4679 (ThomasD)

A lot of refactoring work by Brian.

CTS
---
- Stefan has patched JacORB for CSIv2 tests! Need to produce in brew and test the patched
version.

ON GOING WORK

Component Updates
-----------------
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-4562

For tracking updates for the next AS5 CRx please use:
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-4647

The snapshot list is the same like last week:
<componentref name="jboss/common-core" version="2.2.2.snapshot"/>
<componentref name="jboss/jboss-ejb3-cache" version="0.11-SNAPSHOT"/>

- The jboss-ejb3-cache tag (Carlo) was waiting on jboss-javaee but this is now resolved so
Carlo could proceed with it:
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-4687

- JBoss Common, use a tagged release (dimitris)

- JBoss Messaging, waiting for the final 1.4.0.GA release. (next week?)

- Hibernate 3.3, needed by JBoss Cache. If it cannot be delivered by soon, target AS5 CR1.

Brian: "The current Hibernate core release is not compatible with JBoss Cache 2.0 (JBC API
is very different.)  This breaks using JBC as a Hibernate 2nd level cache. For EJB3 entity
caching I've written a CacheProvider impl that deals with JBC 2.0, so that use case is
handled. But if people want to use Hibernate+JBC outside of EJB3, that will be a problem. A
workaround to this would be to write an equivalent to what I did for EJB3 and include it in
the hibernate-int module. I'm currently working with Steve on a *much* improved
Hibernate/JBC integration for Hibernate 3.3. It would certainly be nicer to have AS 5 use that."
Steve: No way I'll have anything other than alphas/betas of 3.3 before 9/14.

- JGroups 2.6 for AS5 CR1. Bela just released a 2.6.Beta1 and a 2.5.1 so maybe we can choose
one of the two for Beta3 (now at 2.5)

JBAS JIRA
---------
The JIRA for AS5 needs further work and cleaning up
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS

Blockers and Criticals are the important ones, so make sure you mark as
such what must make it into a release, and preferably start working on it.

Key Issues
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-4720 - Weston
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/EJBTHREE-1026 - Carlo
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/EJBTHREE-1047 - waiting on ejb3 regressions (Anil)
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-3415 - Weston
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-3412 - Scott
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-4506 - Scott
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-4620 - Anil

CTS 5.0
-------
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBCTS-636 - Weston
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBCTS-654 - Scott
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBCTS-595, 651 - Alexey
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBCTS-547, 652, 653 - Carlo
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBCTS-593 - Jean Frederic/Carlo
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBCTS-586 - Heiko

Testsuites
----------
Due to the large number of changes all of our testsuites are in a bad shape so we really
need to make an effort and stabilize them:
http://cruisecontrol.jboss.com/cc/buildresults/jboss-head-testsuite-sun-1.5

There is this weird shutdown issue when run in VMWare:
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-4587

http://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/job/JBoss-AS-5.0.x-TestSuite-sun15-noip/

If you work on the AS testsuite, record your work/findings here:
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-4636

Discussions
-----------
Various topics raised by Sacha
- Easier/condensed config options (a la -ds.xml)
- Downloadable prepackaged optional bundles
- MC/classloader based patch management with scripting capabilities.

Unified Metadata
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=118600&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Other
-----
The AppClient deployer is undergoing refactoring as ejb-refs resolved from 1.4
appclients have no connection to ejb3 deployment types.
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBCTS-654
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-4707

For important issues I have missed and we need to track in this status report, please send
me an email.

Thanks
/Dimitris