[jboss-dev] Maven Complaints [Was: Broken builds]

Andrew Lee Rubinger andrew.rubinger at redhat.com
Fri Apr 18 12:06:00 EDT 2008

Rémy Maucherat wrote:
  > Personally, I think Maven is an abomination. +1 to any proposal to get
> rid of this piece of junk ASAP.
>
> Rémy

Ultra constructive, bravo!

Upon what are you basing this opinion?  And what helpful solutions would
you recommend to solve the issues giving you trouble?

We've outgrown the monolithic AS layout, and need to be adopting a
componentized structure where each project pushes forth frequent
releases for integration.

Most of the problems we've encountered can be chalked up to Maven's
exposure of an improper build process that we've inflicted upon
ourselves during the breakout of AS components.  Bringing cyclic
dependencies to the forefront gives us a fail-fast that prevents release.

With the new mandate set to remove all snapshots from the AS
component-matrix, we can expect to see reliably reproducible builds.
Snapshots were just as horrid with the older Thirdparty setup.

Maven is just a build tool, and it's not the offender here.  Until
snapshots are gone and the new projects have a proper dependency chain,
we'll be in the muck pointing fingers at one another.

S,
ALR

--
Andrew Lee Rubinger