[jboss-dev] Why Maven sucks (part 1)

Andrew Lee Rubinger andrew.rubinger at redhat.com
Mon Apr 21 17:35:55 EDT 2008

Carlo de Wolf wrote:
> I'm just saying that Maven should by default give an error because of an
> incompatible version conflict. Normally I would have version ranges in
> the dependencies and then the only match wins, not even best match. If
> something falls out of the version range constraints, then we have an
> unstable build and it should fail with a nice and friendly error message.

This is achieved via the bracket syntax, which we're not currently using:

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Dependency+Mediation+and+Conflict+Resolution

Odd that this scheme wasn't chosen as the default.

I will, however, add to the list of Maven2 Gripes an issue I encountered
last week:

The Release POM does not include Plugin Configuration.  This kills
reproducibility.

I'll be looking into the history and workarounds/fixes for this issue,
hopefully with the help of the Maven community.  Will post back here any
relevant forum discussions/JIRAs arising as a result of this work.

S,
ALR