[jboss-dev] Re: ServiceBindingManager status?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed Jan 30 10:43:59 EST 2008

(copying the general jboss dev list)

I believe the problem with ServiceBindingManager and the web server is
the same as the one discussed on
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=128642.  In AS
4.x, the TomcatDeployer was a JMX-based service, created via a
-service.xml.  Now it's a pojo service and isn't managed via the
ServiceController.  ServiceBindingManager integrates with the
ServiceController to do its magic with port 8080. No ServiceController
== no magic.

We need a strategy for Beta4.  Long run, as Scott said on the forum,
"ServiceBindingManager has to be replaced with a component that
integrates with the profile service to use the management view."  I
don't see that happening this week for beta4. :)  So, what to do?

1) Leave it broken for Beta4; do it right for CR1.  But do we have the
resources to do that for CR1?

2) Return the jboss.web:service=WebServer service to deployment via
-service.xml.  There is discussion of refactoring TomcatDeployer at
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=112404 .
Perhaps the piece that will end up in deploy can be made a JMX-based
service again.  But, AIUI, that goes against the medium-term goal of
pojo-izing the service.

3) See if we can find a way to make the SBM work if an @JMX annotation
is added to a pojo service.  That doesn't work now.  Would probably need
Adrian's help to make that happen, if it's possible at all.

Thoughts?

- Brian

--
Brian Stansberry