[jboss-dev] Re: JBoss AS 4.2.3.GA

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Sat Jul 5 09:34:26 EDT 2008

David M. Lloyd wrote:
> On 07/04/2008 09:30 AM, Dimitris Andreadis wrote:
>> Independent of Fedora, there is the question of how we ship JBoss for
>> jdk6. If we compile with jdk5 and run with jdk6 then JDBC 4.0 support
>> will not be compiled into the JCA classes. I see 3 options:
>
> JDBC 4.0 is just a few extra methods, right?  What about compiling on
> jdk6 with -source 1.5 -target 1.5?  The extra methods won't be used when
> running inside of 1.5, so they shouldn't cause a problem.  Then just say
> JDBC 4.0 is only supported when running on 6 (since otherwise the user
> won't be able to get at the extra methods anyway).

The danger with that is it allows other uses of jdk6 APIs to sneak into
the code. If we're going to do that I suggest having a build target that
can compile  with jdk5 any modules that don't need the JDBC 4.0 APIs.
That target wouldn't be the default build target, since it would force
everyone in the community to have 2 jdks configured just to build.  But
it can be run periodically, and definitely before release, as a QA
measure to catch jdk6 API leakage.

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering