[JBoss-dev] Using custom security domain to use encrypted password

Priyanka Maheshwari priyanka.maheshwari at wipro.com
Fri Jul 25 01:09:08 EDT 2008

Hi Everybody,

My Requirement:
1. remove the usage of cleartext password from mysql-ds.xml
2. Use the custom password manager to retrieve the password

Given Solution by extending the SecureIdentityLoginModule:
JBoss connector API’s provides SecureIdentityLoginModule to encrypt database
passwords rather than using clear text passwords in the datasource
configuration. I have extended this class and overridden the commit method,
which will call password manager to retrieve the password.

Problem:
By going thru the above approach of custom login module, JBoss JCA takes ~25
milliseconds to return the connection. And this 25 milliseconds doesn't
count the time to call password manager. But if I don't use cleartext
password, it takes hardly 1 millisecond.

I want to understand:
1. what is done by JCA when login module is used which takes ~25
milliseconds.
2. Is there any way I can configure JBoss JCA to verify the password only
for the 1st time, and for the subsequent calls, it just returns the
connection in ~1 milliseconds.

Thanks in advance,
Priyanka