[jboss-dev] jbossxb at 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT or 2.0.0.CR5

Adrian Brock abrock at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 17:40:13 EDT 2008

No. But then does that also fix problems with
using the wrong version of a maven plugin getting used?

And does it only clear the version referenced by the pom?

The big problems I've seen are with the
* local repository containing multiple versions and transitive
dependencies picking the wrong one
* not downloading something it should or downloading things
too much stuff
* "random" NPEs during builds
* incremental compilation not working (there's no equivalent
of ant's up-to-date task or if there is, it doesn't work).

The first two examples of a poor rule that can't be changed?
If I specify a version in my pom that's what I want it to use,
I don't want to use some other transitive dependency it finds
on some other dependency.

mvn dependency:tree helps find the problem, but the problem
shouldn't exist in the first place!

Actually, I've found maven quite well behaved when I clear my
local repository as I switch projects and resynch with svn
(even though its slow when you have to keep downloading docbook ;-)

You also have to regularly analyze your pom dependencies
to make sure it is doing what you think/hope it is doing.

So it does work in principle. Just not when the local
repository is allowed to "fester", you're not "baby sitting"
your pom or you don't do regular clean builds.

Like I've said for a while, Maven is a nice idea but
a poor implementation. ;-)