[jboss-dev] Custom testsuite configs

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Fri Mar 28 17:08:39 EDT 2008

In testsuite/build.xml I see a bunch of instances of the following sort
of thing, where an attempt is made to create a config with a limited set
of items in deploy/:

<create-config baseconf="default" newconf="tomcat-federation">
    <patternset>
       <include name="conf/**"/>
       <include name="deployers/**"/>
       <include name="deploy/jbossweb.sar/**"/>
       <include name="deploy/ROOT.war/**"/>
       <include name="lib/**"/>
       <include name="deploy/jmx-console.war/**"/>
       <include name="deploy/jmx-invoker-service.xml"/>
       <include name="deploy/hsqldb-ds.xml"/>
       <include name="deploy/jbossjca-service.xml"/>
       <include name="deploy/jboss-local-jdbc.rar"/>
       <include name="deploy/jboss-jdbc-metadata.sar"/>
       <include name="deploy/security*"/>
    </patternset>
</create-config>

This kind of thing is really fragile; e.g. this config will no longer
start since it's missing newly added stuff like
deploy/transaction-service.xml and deploy/remoting-service.xml.

Whenever I look at these, it seems the idea was to have a trimmed
deployment that starts faster. Not to actually exclude something in
order to test what happens when it isn't there. A couple seconds faster
start IMHO isn't worth the fragility.

I'm going to convert all these to this:

<patternset>
    <include name="conf/**"/>
    <include name="deployers/**"/>
    <include name="deploy/**"/>
    <include name="lib/**"/>
</patternset>

I'll leave the previous detail config there, but commented out. If one
of these configs actually did want to exclude something, please add an
<exclude/> to make it explicit.

- Brian

P.S. I have a weird deja-vu sense of having done this before???