[jboss-dev] Sorting out the common project maven mess

Adrian Brock abrock at redhat.com
Mon Mar 31 08:58:22 EDT 2008

I've just been through the common project (but not JBossXB)
and sorted out the mess it had become.

1) There was a circular dependency betten common-core
and jboss-test (and transitively common-core and common-logging-log4j).

I've removed common-core's use of jboss-test which solves the issue.
It now just uses plain junit. The only actual use was the initialization
of log4j. I've changed the tests to use System.out.println()

2) There was some confusion between whether these artifiacts
should go in the jboss or org.jboss namespace.
I've now made it consistently use the org.jboss namespace.

Although there are no releases of the logging framework in the org.jboss
namespace this should be done with a 2.0.5.GA release and everybody
then should be using those artifacts.

3) The poms were referencing fixed releases of some artifacts.
So for example even if you changed something in common-core the
other projects didn't see it. Instead they downloaded an older
release from repository.jboss.com

I also think this should use version properties from build/pom.xml
like we do in other projects instead of having to update the
version changes in many different places.

4) I made the common-logging-log4j/jdk dependencies on
common-core optional. Since these are only required for
features rather than normal use.
i.e. in log4j for the TCLFilter's use of WeakSet
and in jdk for the DOMConfigurator's use of property editors.
--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adrian Brock