[jboss-dev] Re: Excessive logging in AS 4.2.3 and AS 5

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed Nov 19 12:16:27 EST 2008

Dimitris Andreadis wrote:
> Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-6205 is done.
>
> Nice!
>
> I've just tried it and it seem that setting jboss.server.log.threshold
> to INFO reduces boot times but a second or so, so not big deal.
>
> I guess the problem is really Seam deployments and it's extremely noisy
> logging.

I think we should also consider replacing:

    <!-- Limit JBoss categories
    <category name="org.jboss">
       <priority value="INFO"/>
    </category>
    -->

with

    <!-- Limit JBoss categories to the threshold level for FILE appender -->
    <category name="org.jboss">
       <priority value="${jboss.server.log.threshold}"/>
    </category>

I was working with some clustering perf testing yesterday, and with EAP
4.3 I found:

FILE appender threshold=INFO, org.jboss category=INFO == 5.694 req/sec
FILE appender threshold=INFO, org.jboss category=commented out = 4,205
req/sec

Unscientific sample, YMMV, etc. I'm busy sorting some issues w/ AS 5 so
don't have comparable figures for it, but I don't see why the basic
pattern would be different.

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering