[jboss-dev] Deployment chains

Adrian Brock abrock at redhat.com
Mon Oct 6 11:08:40 EDT 2008

I've managed to do this another way.
I basically only keep track of who changes the transient
(managed object) attachments. See JBDEPLOY-99 for more
implementation details.

A sample output is attached (this is for the console-mgr.sar)

The "UNKNOWN" means it is getting created/referenced outside
a deployer.

If you want to try it yourself, build the latest deployers
and modify conf/deployers.xml to uncomment the FIXME JBAS-6030

You can find the JMX mbeans in the jboss.deployment domain.
The operation is listAttachments(boolean) where the parameter
says whether you want to see the attachment contents.

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 09:43 -0700, Scott Stark wrote:
> Ok, I'm going to be working with Emanuel to get the admin edits pushed
> into the profile deployments next week, so we'll see
> what comes up. I expect the profile service could/should be using an
> AttachmentsImpl that does preclude any further setting of
> the predetermined value once set?
>
> Adrian Brock wrote:
> > The second part would be a major change.
> >
> > Each deployer would have to pass some id as it creates/modifies
> > attachments.
> >
> > That is unless we hacked it such that the DeployerWrapper sets
> > a thread local for the AttachmentsImpl to look at?
> >
> > Even then, unless we changed the Attachments spi,
> > there's no guarantee AttachmentsImpl gets used.
> > e.g. the predetermined stuff gets populated from the Deployment
> > passed to client api of the deployers.
> >
> > But in general, the deployers should not be putting
> > anything in predetermined anyway. It defeats the point
> > and may not even be allowed with some implementations of
> > Attachments. ;-)
> >
> > When I say I'm going to show which deployers process which
> > deployments, its basically going to be a re-calculation
> > of what gets done in DeployersImpl::isRelevant()
> > from the attachments/components that exist at the end of the deployment
> > processing.
> >
> > On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 08:34 -0700, Scott Stark wrote:
> >
> >> Another runtime view is what the source of an attachment is involved
> >> in the chain:
> >>
> >> PredeterminedManagedObjects
> >> TransientManagedObjects
> >> TransientAttachments
> >>
> >> and ideally which deployer set the current attachment at each level.
> >> This relates to tracking whether the correct
> >> attachment is being used when the profile service sets a
> >> PredeterminedManagedObject.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adrian Brock
Chief Scientist