Executor was Re: [jboss-dev] org.jboss.web.metamodel.descriptor package and executor service

Rémy Maucherat remy.maucherat at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 11:00:12 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Adrian Brock <abrock at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 16:25 +0200, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
>> (2) Tomcat (and Jboss Web) have the capability to use the Executor
>> interface from the JDK for the threads it uses for request processing.
>> This means that it would be possible to have an Executor service in AS
>> which could provide a unique thread pool among all services which need
>> threads, thus possibly saving on the global amount of threads needed.
>> Is there interest in that ?
>
> How does this compare with the capabilities of BasicThreadPool
> from the common project?

In JBoss Web there is a default Executor "implementation", and it
looks similar to yours (but it only a wrapper on top of the
ThreadPoolExecutor from Java). But the idea is to allow the user to
set its own implementation of java.util.concurrent.Executor.

> When does JBossWeb's thread pool become available?
> What are its dependencies?

The JBoss Web service (TomcatDeployer or TomcatService) would get the
executor injected by AS. I am not talking about AS using thread pools
from Web, that wouldn't work.

> As a kind of reverse, could JBossWeb use the executor
> (currently an implementation detail)
> of the thread pool configured in conf/jboss-service.xml?

Yes, if it's an Executor and uses the (now) standard API ;)

Rémy