[jboss-dev] How do you split your classes?

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 10:55:47 EDT 2008

On 09/04/2008 04:47 AM, Sacha Labourey wrote:
> Team,
>
> I am interesting in better understanding how you take decisions when
> splitting classes between JARs. Let me be more accurate...

The things I'm working on (Remoting 3, XNIO, etc) have separate API and
implementation JARs, the idea being that only the API classes should
"pollute" the user's classloader if possible.  The implementation JARs will
be part of the corresponding deployer itself, and will hopefully be
invisible to deployments that actually use the services.  So I guess this
matches your ideal scenario.

> It is worth mentioning that this is the pre-AS5 situation. With AS5 and its
> new classloaders à la OSGI, it is going to be possible to put EVERYTHING in
> specific directories in /deploy thanks to the import/export features Adrian
> has implemented. Consequently, outside of core services (specific deployers
> or any bootstrap code à la VFS, etc.), no JAR should be needed in /lib.

Adding in what Adrian replied, I guess the end result would be an API JAR
deployment and a separate implementation deployer deployment... right?

- DML