[jboss-dev] How do you split your classes?

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 13:51:28 EDT 2008

On 09/04/2008 10:55 AM, Galder Zamarreno wrote:

> David M. Lloyd wrote:
>> On 09/04/2008 04:47 AM, Sacha Labourey wrote:
>>> Team,
>>>
>>> I am interesting in better understanding how you take decisions when
>>> splitting classes between JARs. Let me be more accurate...
>>
>> The things I'm working on (Remoting 3, XNIO, etc) have separate API
>> and implementation JARs, the idea being that only the API classes
>> should "pollute" the user's classloader if possible.  The
>> implementation JARs will be part of the corresponding deployer itself,
>> and will hopefully be invisible to deployments that actually use the
>> services.  So I guess this matches your ideal scenario.
>
> You should do that anyway to separate the client/ jars from the server
> jars, correct?

Yeah, that was in my thoughts as well.  Though for completely standalone
clients (non-container) I actually have a completely separate, single JAR
which contains both the API and implementation, plus helper classes to get
simple instances of things that are normally created and configured in
greater depth and detail by a container deployer.

- DML