[jboss-dev] Different Boottimes from pruning

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Fri Dec 18 08:44:09 EST 2009

The first post on that thread is from a start of the "all" config.
There, JBM is starting 2 JGroups channels, each of which, in a single
node cluster waits 2 seconds to get a response to a multicast discovery
message. Which will never arrive, since there are no other nodes to
reply. It goes faster once there are other nodes that reply.

This kind of thing is where parallelization of startup can be very
beneficial. (You'll note that Bela is a big advocate of
parallelization.) The HAPartition service also connects a channel and
blocks 2 seconds, so a total of 6 seconds in the startup of the "all"
config is spent with the startup thread blocking doing nothing.

Note that JBM is connecting 2 channels. If JBM were going to remain in
AS trunk this fall I'd have pushed the JBM folks to do those in parallel
internally to the PostOffice's start() impl. HAPartition does that. But
HornetQ will soon replace JBM in trunk, and HornetQ doesn't connect
JGroups channels.

Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering
JBoss by Red Hat