[jboss-dev] Further profling: Where should I focus?

Jaikiran Pai jpai at redhat.com
Thu Dec 24 00:19:20 EST 2009

Brian Stansberry wrote:
> Yeah, reducing the cost of AOP would be nice. We use the @DisableAOP
> annotation to bypass AOPDependencyBuilder, but I don't see that
> annotation used much, probably due to use of @JMX.

EJB3 MC beans, either programatically or through the -beans.xml, have
been using @DisableAOP ever since we noticed the performance issue with
AOPDependencyBuilder:

http://community.jboss.org/thread/104679#344841
http://community.jboss.org/thread/96950?tstart=0

The performance gains were very noticeable. It was relatively easier to
add this @DisableAOP to MC beans in EJB3 because the set of MC bean
files were few. But it's going to be a difficult task trying to add this
to each and every MC bean, infact i am not sure whether any new
*-beans.xml in EJB3 have @DisableAOP set. That's one of the reasons why
i thought it would be better do disable the AOPDependencyBuilder by
default (after all most of the developers shouldn't even know about this
internal detail).

-Jaikiran