[jboss-dev] Dependencies, class in multiple jar files, JBAS-1796, JBAS-6444

Jesper Pedersen jpederse at redhat.com
Wed Feb 11 07:52:39 EST 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 03:03:25 Dimitris Andreadis wrote:
> Jesper, I think this is great!

Sweet :)

> How does it work? You feed it a bunch of libs (or a root) and then loads
> the classes in .jars with javassist to discover dependencies, right?

Syntax is basically: Tattletale <directory>

Scans recursive for .jar files (currently - think also
about, .war, .ear, .rar, .sar, ...) - loads each class into Javassist and
looks at which classes it requires; (more advanced feature would be a way of
teaching the tool about classloader structures... later, remember open
source - soon).

Then it is just a matter of matching.

So yes :)

> Which libs did you give it to get this report?

I just pointed it to the root of the AS distribution

 Tattletale jboss-5.0.0.GA

-- but information about the actual jar files is needed (see Jay's mail).

> Jesper Pedersen wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I was going over the dependencies for the JBJCA project and needed a tool
> > to get an overview of dependencies between jar files, if a class is
> > located in multiple jar files and an overview of what each jar file
> > requires and provides.
> >
> > So I hacked something together; currently called Tattletale - based on
> > javassist.jar of course.
> >
> > I have attached the report for the application server to the issue
> >
> >  https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-1796
> >
> > as it could provide some information about the separation of the jar
> > files.
> >
> > If you take a look at the 'Dependencies' report
> > under "common-httpclient.jar" - you'll see
> >
> >  https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-6444
> >
> > just to give you an idea.
> >
> > The index.html file will provide the starting point for the various
> > reports.
> >
> > If you think this tool would be useful I'll commit the code somewhere in
> > repository.
> >
> > Feedback is of course welcomed, but remember it is very early beta ;)

Best regards,
 Jesper

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx