[jboss-dev] AS 5.1 and JBoss Messaging 2

Carlo de Wolf cdewolf at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 02:36:11 EST 2009

Another option would be to use the (EJB 3) package installer. This
removes the old artifacts and inserts new ones into 'default' and 'all'
configuration (and client/common libraries).
This would make it a separate download and thus eliminate any problems
with the distribution size of AS. It also won't effect the build system.

As for the 'will it work' question, that's a matter of testing. But I
share the concern about dependency conflicts.

What we need isn't just a package installer, but a package manager (a-la
yum / aptitude). Then you can state in your Hudson configuration which
packages you want and do test runs on it. All underlying dependencies
would at least be enforced and possibly upgraded. We could then even
ship an 'empty' AS with only the package manager (e.g. JBoss Reloaded).
EAP will then become a 'random' assortment of packages which pass all
release criteria.

Note that the 'production' profile is beyond scope for the community
release.

All said and done, the most easy solution is to bring JBM2 into the
regular build process a.s.a.p. and see how it behaves, because that
would provide some knowledge to answer your question: "would it be
stable and TCK compliant enough that it doesn't end up delaying GA?"
Then the question on top becomes: when do we truly need it?

Carlo