[jboss-dev] AS 5.1 Component Project Schedule

Carlo de Wolf cdewolf at redhat.com
Wed Feb 18 02:40:44 EST 2009

Jason T. Greene wrote:
> David M. Lloyd wrote:
>> On 02/04/2009 01:50 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>>> Project Leads,
>>>
>>> The next planned AS release is 5.1 Beta which we are targeting for a
>>> March release, and a following GA in April (provided no major
>>> problems).
>>
>> Something that has come up a few times since even a while before the
>> 5.0 release is updating all the AS components to more effectively use
>> jbossmc classloader/deployment facilities to do all kinds of
>> wonderful things like:
>>
>> - Carefully controlling what APIs are available to what types of
>> deployments
>> - Only starting up services that are needed, through clever use of
>> on-demand imports and that sort of thing
>> - Changing or improving the way profiles are built to make the distro
>> more space-efficient
>> - etc.
>>
>> It usually goes like this.  Someone brings up something peripheral to
>> this, and I or one of the MC guys would say, "hey this stuff is all
>> possible to do", then folks like Sacha would come in and say "this
>> sounds great!", everyone would get enthused, and then everyone would
>> just kind of stare at their shoes and hope that someone else would
>> make it happen.
>>
>> I know that at least a couple new projects are doing this, going
>> forward, but is there any chance we could start this process for 5.1
>> for existing stuff?  Maybe start by attaching jboss-classloading.xml
>> and so forth to the various libraries and/or moving them in with
>> their related deployers, figuring out what it would take to get the
>> deployers only linking the right APIs to the various deployment
>> types, etc.  Just brainstorming some ideas would be a great start.
>> From there it could move to a wiki page for requirements and/or a
>> JIRA task list, etc.  Is there a person who is actually *on* the AS
>> team who could take point on this, for existing components?  Or
>> should we officially just let the idea die for 5.x?
>>

> I am hoping we can keep the scope narrow for 5.1 (embedded console and
> related profile service work + component updates). So I think we
> should delay this work until 6.x.
>
> Although if anyone wants to get a head start and do this for their
> project in 5.1 that's fine with me, as long as it doesn't delay the
> schedule.

Right now EJB3 is looking to create JNDI bindings with proxies that on
demand contact the containers. In the first step this will only be done
for no-interface view (while the container may still start eagerly).
Maybe we'll go over the existing views as well. Still it's not a
requirement for 5.1 and if it's done, it's done, if not, then nothing is
lost.

Carlo