[jboss-dev] split metadata

Jesper Pedersen jpederse at redhat.com
Wed Jul 1 09:52:12 EDT 2009

Hi Alexey.

On Wednesday 17 June 2009 09:35:03 Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
> I have committed the split metadata now. The details are below. I'd like
> to get feedback from the projects that use it.

Excellent :)

> New metadata structure
> ----------------------
>
> Metadata project (version 1.0.X) has been split into several: common
> project + one project per specific technology. The initial version for
> all the new projects is 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT. The current list of the projects
> is: - common
> - EJB
> - WEB
> - RAR
> - EAR
> - client
>
> The common one contains stuff which is used by other projects, plus
> common Java EE metadata, common JBoss metadata and WS metadata. These
> could further be extracted to their own projects if needed.
> All technology-specific projects declare dependency on the common project.

Perhaps the common module can be split even more.

I see some classes that are marked as @Deprecated - since this is a 2.0
version these could be moved to a "legacy" module.

Also I think that the common module only should contain the classes actually
needed by the sub-projects - and thereby provide a common core.

I'm thinking about the org.jboss.metadata.javaee.spec and classes in the
top-level org.jboss.metadata package - could be moved to a javaee-spec
module. And there are other examples.

The Tattletale report for the RAR module shows that

 org/jboss/metadata/annotation/**
 org/jboss/metadata/javaee/support/*

are needed - so those are candidates to stay in the common module IMHO.

Best regards,
 Jesper