[jboss-dev] building the documentation for JBoss public and private API...

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Mon Jun 1 16:19:28 EDT 2009

We were just talking about building a list of all JBoss AS public API
calls.  This will be used to document the public API versus what is
considered private (we will include only the public API in this "public
api" documentation).

One idea mentioned already is that we could use an annotation (e.g.
something like @publicAPI mentioned elsewhere
http://www.opends.org/promoted-builds/2.0.0-RC1/javadoc/org/opends/server/types/PublicAPI.html).
We would then build the "public API" documentation based on the
@publicAPI annotations (the how to be determined).

We might want to also include a @privateAPI tag, for source files that
contain a mix of public and private API (or maybe we should move
anything private into separate modules).

Just to throw it out there, one alternative approach would be to include
this same level of information (e.g. "this class is part of public API")
in the AS Javadoc.

Thoughts on either approach?

Thanks,
Scott