[jboss-dev] Redeploy an app if xml is added to metadata location?

Jaikiran Pai jpai at redhat.com
Thu Jun 4 02:54:49 EDT 2009

Ales Justin wrote:
>>> Since at least I would expect the AS to pick up my new .xml config
>>> file.
>>> Or why would you put it there?
>> That does not require a redeploy of the entire application. The user
>> can place the xml there and be able to look it up without having to
>> redeploy the application. Am i missing something?
>
> Sure, but how do I know if he really didn't mean to add new config file?
> e.g. new custom config file where he describes his new services,
> wanting to propagate some service all the way to the business logic code
In that case, he would be expected to touch the top level deployment
descriptor (web.xml in this case) to tell us (the AS) that the
application needs to be redeployed. That's how AS-4.x handled this -
allowing the user to decide when the app needs a redeploy.

But i guess, this isn't a major change as long as we let users know that
this is how AS-5 is expected to behave :)

-Jaikiran