[jboss-dev] Project ByteMan

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 11:23:44 EDT 2009

Andrew, did you get around to compare ByteMan with JBoss AOP?

IMO, both seem to do the same, instrument classes to add some behaviour
here or there. ByteMan simply seems to use load time weaving style
whereas JBoss AOP had two modes.

So, why should I use ByteMan over JBoss AOP if JBoss AOP is already
integrated with AS? Easy of use? Memory consumption? Speed? Functionality?

Andrew Dinn wrote:
> Hi Foax,
>
> After several false starts and concomitant rethinks legal have finally
> agreed that I can use the name ByteMan (aka JBoss ByteMan) for the tool
> formerly known as TOAST. The name abbreviates 'Byte Manipulation' rather
> than identifying some nerdy superhero -- although I am still toying with
> the idea of presenting at Jazoon in mask, tights and cape. Mark Newton
> is currently in the process of setting up a ByteMan project with
> repository, forum etc. In the meantime I would like to claim the package
> space org.jboss.byteman for all code products associated with the
> project. I believe this does not clash with any existing code. If you
> know otherwise please inform me ASAP.
>
> regards,
>

> Andrew Dinn

Galder Zamarreño