[jboss-dev] Improving scanning performance

Scott Marlow scott.marlow.opensource at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 09:29:13 EDT 2009

Ales Justin wrote:
>> I have a few questions, please help me out.  If
>> AnnotationEnvironment, is a database of annotations, would it be
>> possible to persist the AnnotationEnvironment (so we don't have to
>> rebuild it after every boot)?  If yes, is there a way we could handle
>> invalidating entries in the persisted AnnotationEnvironment database
>> (either manually or automatically when classes change)?
>
> I don't think this makes any sense.
> All of our boot deployments, except the new admin-console, don't make
> any use of AE.
> At least to my knowledge, they don't use any annotations based metadata.
> Hence I'm able to exclude them all -> metadata-deployer-jboss-beans.xml .
>
> The only use case would be user apps,
> but they are subject to change after every restart.
> Or why else would you restart? :-)
>
> And my gut feeling tells me it would be even harder or pointless to
> have to invalidate existing persisted AE.

Is there any way that we could persistently cache the results of
scanning for annotations?  Putting aside the issue of how to invalidate
the cache (lets discuss that after), where would the caching logic need
to go (maybe near the code dealing with jboss-scanning.xml?)

Are there currently any plans to do persistent caching in the MC (or
some form of pre-compiling)?