[jboss-dev] Non-native zip file handling

Ales Justin ales.justin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 10:58:37 EDT 2009

> Isn't VFS already an abstraction?  There would seem to be very little in
> common between a vfszip implementation which uses the JDK zip code and
> one which uses the implementation I whipped up (the APIs are completely
> different, which was sort of the point).  Wouldn't it be a lot easier to
> just make a branch and replace the ZIP code completely?  Then you could
> simply test with one versus the other and see if there's
> performance/stability/xxxx differences between the two.

Afais, your whipped up impl is just an alternative to zip reading.

We still need all that VFS zip abstraction of how to map
VirtualFileHandler to path, path navigation, children lookup, url
handling, nested jars, etc.
It's not that trivial to change this.

This would then be the same effort as when we changed vfsjar with
vfszip. Check the old JarX code vs. new ZipX.

I won't object if you go down this path.
But I can assure you it won't be easy, been there, done that. ;-)
(it took me 4+ different AS releases to get things into decent shape)

> The point of doing the alternate implementation was to allow us to
> simplify the vfszip implementation, not make it more complex.

This wouldn't make it more complex. At least not that much.
It would just give us another way of doing zip reading.

> Oh, thanks for the fixes by the way.  :-)

Np. ;-)