[jboss-dev] Improving scanning performance

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Tue Jun 16 07:04:51 EDT 2009

Ales Justin wrote:
>> I tried to limit the scanning for annotations of
>> /deploy/juddi-service.sar/juddi.jar but the scans are still occurring.
>
> With jboss-scanning.xml?

Yes, with jboss-scanning.xml which has the following contents.  I ended
up putting a copy of this file in almost every juddi-service.sar folder
but still see trace messages during boot, indicating that juddi.jar
classes are being scanned for annotation.  The trick of including "noop"
seems to work at the moment (intention is to exclude scanning of all
classes in juddi.jar).

<scanning xmlns="urn:jboss:scanning:1.0">
  <path name="juddi.jar">
    <include name="noop"/>
  </path>
  <path name="juddi-saaj.jar">
    <include name="noop"/>
  </path>
  <path name="juddi-service.jar">
    <include name="noop"/>
  </path>
  <path name="scout.jar">
    <include name="noop"/>
  </path>
  <path name="juddi-service.sar/juddi.war/WEB-INF/classes">
    <include name="noop"/>
  </path>
</scanning>

The important target to exclude above is "juddi.jar" as it contains the
classes that we seem to scan for annotations about 400 times (only when
starting the "all" profile).

>> Do we need to juddi-service.sar to
>> server/target/etc/deployers/metadata-deployer-jboss-beans.xml?  Other
>> service archives are listed there but not the UDDI service (only
>> include in the AS/server/all profile).
>
> Sure, as I doubt it uses any of the EJB3 annotations to describe its
> services.
>
> I didn't update that list for a while now.
> I can check if you still have issues, just let me know.

Is there anything special that we have to do in the AS to enable
jboss-scanning.xml to prevent annotation scanning in a service archive
like "deploy/juddi-service.sar"?