[jboss-dev] Excessive Logging in AS 5

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Mon Mar 16 21:46:02 EDT 2009

> David M. Lloyd wrote:
>> Also, why control just the org.jboss logger?  I'd say, have the
>> property just set the level on the root logger instead.
>
> Fine with me; Darran Lofthouse had complained about the need to disable
> the threshold as an extra step in getting logs for support. Only
> downsides I see to removing the threshold and adding a priority to the
> root logger are:
>
> 1) behavior change from 5.0.1 (but JBAS-6629/30 are as well, and your
> stuff is also a 5.1 change in how logging works, so now seems like the
> time.)
>
> 2) Users have to add a category to get their stuff at finer level vs
> just removing the threshold. Which is just another way of saying its a
> behavior change. ;)

A middle-ground idea might be to have the root logger at INFO always, use
the property for "org.jboss" (and maybe selected other loggers?), still
leaving off the file appender threshold (though console probably ought to
keep at INFO).

This way, if someone *wants* e.g. a trace log for one category, they only
make one change.  If they globally want DEBUG, it's only one change.

- DML