[jboss-dev] Splitting system and user deployments

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Tue Mar 24 17:42:28 EDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

One topic that seems to come up often, but yet we never get around to
addressing, is adding a user specific deploy directory that is empty by
default [1].

If we go this route, what should we call such directories?

I added a few

Pros = + Cons = -

Option A
--------
System = deploy
User = apps

+ Users that expect system configuration files in deploy (like tomcat)
won't be caught off-guard
- Users might not notice the apps directory and put things in deploy anyway

Option B
--------
System = system
User = apps

+ Looks nice
- New locations may be hard to find

Option C
--------
System = system
User = deploy

+ Users can still put apps in deploy, as they expect, and they no longer
see system deployments
- Users will have to find the new config location

Option D
--------
System = deploy/system
User = deploy/apps

+ Looks the nicest
+ Not too hard to find the new location
- Users will put things in deploy and it won't work!

Option E
--------
System = deploy-system
Apps =   deploy-apps

+ Putting files in the deploy dir is no longer a problem since it
doesn't exist
+ Not too hard to find the new location
- Deploy no longer exists
- Kind of ugly