[jboss-dev] testing memory leaks

Jonathan Halliday jonathan.halliday at redhat.com
Wed Nov 4 08:42:19 EST 2009

Hi all

I'm looking for a way to force garbage collection to run, as
I need it in order to write meaningful memory leak tests.

As far as I can tell, there is no way for force gc from
inside the jvm, short of hacks like allocating all the
remaining free memory.

The best I can come up with so far is a bit of native code
to call gc via the jvmti. This is a pain, as it means
compiling for every test platform.

Anyone got a better idea?

Thanks

Jonathan.

Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111
Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Registered in UK and Wales under Company Registration No.
3798903  Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters
(USA), Matt Parsons (USA) and Brendan Lane (Ireland)