[jboss-dev] xb in start up time

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Wed Sep 16 10:08:12 EDT 2009

I already looked into serializing bindings with JBossXB.  Binding time
was slower although I didn't try to optimize this and really just made
everything serializable.

I really think we should look into XJC generated models as they use the
ObjectFactory pattern which is may be much faster than class introspection.

I also *don't* think you are going to get Unmarshalling times down.
JBossXB was *very* comparable to Sun's JAXB implementation.

The "fast-jaxb" stuff I did (code generation) has no overhead since is
purely code generation.  It also does no reflection.  I'd like to see
how XJC generated code improves anything if at all before persuing this
further.

Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
> I'll continue on the forums
> http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4255559
>
> Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
>> To get an idea of what's taking time in XB during the AS start-up, I
>> added simple time checks for three things:
>> - creation of unmarshaller instances (parsers)
>> - schema binding (parsing of JBossXB/JAXB annotations)
>> - unmarshalling (parsing xml + assembling the Java graph)
>>
>> I started the default AS configuration 10 times and here are the average
>> results.
>>
>> AS start-up time: 31226 ms
>> Init unmarshallers (94 instances): 99 ms
>> Binding (13 schemas): 1194 ms
>> Unmarshalling (71 files): 1764 ms
>>
>> Total xb time: 3057 ms
>> Which is around 10%.
>>
>> I think first, I'm going to look into serializing/precompiling bindings,
>> e.g. metadata projects could already include in the releases serialized
>> schema bindings.

Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat
http://bill.burkecentral.com