[jboss-dev] Javaee Spec Jars

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Tue Feb 2 14:45:44 EST 2010

Jesper Pedersen wrote:
> On Friday 22 January 2010 13:57:21 Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>> The project will release the API under its own Maven artifact using the
>>> project group id - as the JCA container has a life besides AS.
>> What is the rationale for this? The naming convention Paul outlined is
>> in no way JBoss AS specific. The whole point of this exercise is to
>> reduce confusion around what the correct spec impl is for use in
>> jboss.org projects. Having two releases of the same thing under the
>> org.jboss namespace is totally confusing.
>>

> My point is that AS will have one public API and the standalone JCA project
> will have its own public API.

There is only one API for any JCP technology, that is the whole point.
All of our JCP APIs should be versioned/maintained separately from our
implementations, as there are potentially more than one. This of course
does not apply to any of our proprietary APIs.

> Each of these should be clear and documented, and will target different groups
> of developers. Yes, with some overlap I know.
 >

>> If that point's accepted, I don't see the significance of where in the
>> svn repo the source lives. The only thing I could see is if you don't
>> want to have the rest of the JCA project depend on an external spec jar,
>> but instead manage it as a single project with multiple modules, the way
>> the AS was before it was mavenized. But then you're releasing a new
>> version of the spec every time the rest of the project needs a release.
>>

> EJB3 seems to be managing individual version identifiers for their components
> just fine.

Here is the mismatch. A JCP API is _NOT_ a component/module of an
implementation.

--
Jason T. Greene