[jboss-dev] M2 Boot time

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Thu Feb 11 14:38:35 EST 2010

Brian Stansberry wrote:

> As a quick way to experiment, I changed deploy() for
> WARAnnotationMetaDataDeployer and ServletContainerInitializerDeployer to add
>
>        if ("admin-console.war".equals(unit.getSimpleName()))
>           return;
>
> That cut the boot time of "default" with on-demand disabled from 38s to
> 30s. I get 22s with on-demand enabled.
>
> I agree that the M2 boot improvement is already enough. Only reason to
> think about any 1) quick 2) simple 3) safe stuff for M2 is to cut the
> time it takes to serve the first admin-console request, which for me is
>
> a) 12 secs before I get any response at all (i.e. deployment time)
> b) 5 secs looking at the "Redirecting to..." page until login screen
> comes up (i.e. mostly ServletContextListener stuff)
> c) 5 secs to get response after submitting login form (console initially
> processes managed objects)
>
> a) is the worst part since there's no feedback.

A big chunk of this time is the copy overhead since this war is huge.
Another chunk is seam + vfs scanning overhead, which is also compounded
by the war being large. And then we have RHQ & EMBJOPR initialization
time. So this definitely needs major changes. I would love a tiny
lightweight console just using servlets, even if it wasn't pretty :)

--
Jason T. Greene