[jboss-dev] Small boottime improvement

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Feb 11 19:00:52 EST 2010

On 02/11/2010 05:23 PM, Bill Burke wrote:
> BTW, my guess is that it is file caching.  Good job though!  Almost a
> full second shaved off.  Nothing to sneeze about.
>
> So what's next for optimization?
>
> * Is VFS3 in trunk/ now?

That's the first task for M3, and with M2 work done the actual
conversion is now in progress; check w/ John Bailey for details. It's
not a one day thing; John's doing a good job driving it through.

> * Did somebody look into whether code guards are being done for logging?
>    (isDebugEnabled(), etc.)

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-7692 and see forum thread linked
from there. At some point in the next couple weeks I'll create subtasks
for folks to look at individual pieces, but, hint hint, I'd much prefer
if people took initiative and created subtasks themselves.

> * Any possible improvements to creating BeanMetaData?
>
> * How about making our bean.xml files more coarse grain?  Meaning *A
> LOT* less implementation details exposed through XML.  You can do IoC in
> Java you know.  The vast majority of details within all our beans.xml
> files will never ever change, nor will we want to support users changing
> this stuff.  If our beans.xml file are reduced to a few bean definitions
> and classes, would make parsing and creating bean metadata much much faster.

Semi-related, the ServiceBindingManager config needs a schema and a
parser. I create a lot of MC beans for SBM, most of which the MC has no
need to know anything about.

> * I also could resurrect Fast-JAXB, but I didn't want to do that until
> we got under 10 seconds.
>
> For the MC team, I think the biggest focus should be profiling and
> optimizing Minimal.
>

> Kabir Khan wrote:
>> I actually did a few runs on each server first, but had loads of apps open so I rebooted

>>> Wild guess - Perhaps, JBoss Messaging takes time to create the JBM
>>> tables for the first run. The second run the tables are already present
>>> in JBOSS_HOME/data folder so i guess it's skipped. Maybe deleting the
>>> data folder before starting the server, the second time, will show no
>>> significant difference between the two runs.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> -Jaikiran

Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering