[jboss-dev] M3 Planning and Timeline

Thomas Diesler thomas.diesler at jboss.com
Tue Feb 23 04:47:19 EST 2010

Jason,

in JIRA this is currently on the M3 roadmap

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-7661

As you probably know, in our quest towards OSGi Core Framework TCK
compliance we rely on changes made to the MC. AFAICS, some of them are
quite fundamental and semantically don't map as cleanly onto MC as we
would like it to be.

In short, adding OSGi to AS might trigger frequent MC updates which can
be disruptive to others. However, it should be quite obvious that "JBoss
OSGi Support" actually means that OSGi is supported in AS, which can
only be verified in AS.

Currently, I do the OSGi QA such that my installer replaces MC
components in AS. Such I can verify that the OSGi stuff is working, but
I cannot know if at the same time the MC replacement breaks other stuff.

I recommend that we do include JBAS-7661 in M3, which would raise the
level of urgency for issues related MC changes that are triggered by
OSGi. i.e. MC updates need to work for OSGi *and* existing services.

Whether we actually ship OSGi in the M3 distribution is a different
story IMHO.

cheers
-thomas

--