[jboss-dev] Small boottime improvement

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed Feb 24 14:02:56 EST 2010

On 02/24/2010 12:36 PM, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Brian Stansberry
> <brian.stansberry at redhat.com>  wrote:
>> Also relevant to the jbossweb-standalone numbers (but not too minimal)
>> is SBM is doing that XSL transform on server.xml. There's a JIRA to get
>> rid of that, although I'm not too happy about using system properties to
>> pass these values. We do it elsewhere though.
>
> Dropping XSL does improve the numbers. Should I commit that ? [I'm not
> committing yet the simplified jbossweb-standalone due to JBKERNEL-100]

I want to make sure we're on the same page. You're setting the system
properties via the "SystemPropertyBinder" bean in
bindings-jboss-beans.xml? If so, yeah, go ahead. Using system properties
is hacky, but if we find a better way later to inject the SBM value, we
can always improve it. The JGroups protocol stack configurations have
the same issue.

Note that getting rid of this in the WarDeployer config removes the
explicit dependency on SBM:

<property name="configFile">
    <value-factory bean="ServiceBindingManager" method="getResourceBinding">
       <parameter>jboss.web:service=WebServer</parameter>

<parameter>${jboss.server.home.url}${/}deploy${/}jbossweb.sar${/}server.xml</parameter>
    </value-factory>
</property>

So there should be a <depends/> element added. Right now the startup is
statically configured such that SBM always gets deployed before
WarDeployer, but counting on that is not ideal. Needing to add the
<depends/> is one reason using system properties for the value injection
is not ideal.

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering