[jboss-dev] Refactoring packaging/packages to reduce "signed jar groups"

Adrian Brock abrock at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 13:59:35 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 12:25 -0600, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> >> Out of curiosity, is there a reason we don't do this already (i.e. a javaee
> >> spec or something)?  I'd think that by default each JAR should have a
> >> separate package space, but I guess there could be exceptions in certain cases.
> >>

> > Package sealing wouldn't work. It would see them as two
> > separate packages.
>
> Isn't that a good thing?  Or are split packages a lot more pervasive than I
> thought?  Packages are usually sealed with respect to a single JAR anyway,
> aren't they?

I don't understand your question?
Why is it a good thing to break to break this security feature? :-)

The purpose of sealing a package is to stop somebody else
in the same visible classloading space from adding to your package.

If each deployment used its own package space there would be no way
to enforce it - except when the two jars are in the same
deployment/classloader and hence shared the same package object.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adrian Brock