[jboss-dev] other stuff Re: Further profling: Where should I focus?

Carlo de Wolf cdewolf at redhat.com
Mon Jan 4 06:49:27 EST 2010

On 01/03/2010 04:14 PM, Bill Burke wrote:

> Brian Stansberry wrote:
>
>> Are you interested in AS 6 in general, not just boot perf?
>>

> Well, what I'm really interested in is entirely reworking how AS is
> consumed.  Specifically,
>
> * Getting boot time fast enough so that embedded is actually usable
> * Writing a maven plugin for embedded (so it works as nicely as jetty's)
> * Further modularizing components so that they can be easily removed/added
> * Further mavenize the modular components
> * Add maven ability to create jboss profiles ad hoc via component
> dependencies (i.e. I depend on EJB and WS profiles and they magically
> only pull in the dependencies they need) (and hook them into embedded).
>    My guess is that this would require a complete restructuring (and
> simplification) of JBoss AS directory structure.
>
> The way JBoss AS is currently used is so 2003.  Its 2010 and its time to
> get JBoss up to speed with what the Java community expects and what
> tools they use.

These bits for me need expedition fast. Already I'm rewriting VDF
bootstrap for the JNDI namespace deployers (RELOADED-12).

Depending on how the runtime looks we might need an additional plugin or
not. The main question is how do we boot up this configurable runtime?
Either we delegate to JBoss Bootstrap or we define something new.

I'm not sure whether we want the ability to create profiles in maven or
just in plain Java code.
It could eventually end up in some @BeforeClass startup code instead. Or
maybe have it hooked into TestNG groups. In fact I would say it probably
needs to be plain Java code, because we also would need a stand-alone
runtime. So Maven is effectively out of scope.

Leaves the question on how to get a proper blueprint for components that
fit into that runtime. The blueprint must support a maven project setup.

Carlo