[jboss-dev] Further profling: Where should I focus?

Ales Justin ales.justin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 04:39:25 EST 2010

>> Basically the solution is trivial, but it's an integration pita.
>> What we need is an explicit packages export; aka jboss-classloading.xml
>> with capabilities.
>
> Why packages?  Why not export/import by module?

I guess we could try that as well -- modules.
But if we're already automating this, it really doesn't matter what it is,
as long as it makes things boot faster.

In a long run we'll need packages anyway, if we want to impl this:
* https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/TAG-17

> Also, the jboss-classloading.xml is only a part of a performant solution.  Before we
> consider going to a fully modularized design, we also need to consider a
> way to implement an O(1) module loading system, so that modules are only
> loaded on-demand and any module which is not used is never loaded.
> Otherwise, we'll never be able to scale a "modularized" AS.

This is something we're already working on in MC's CL/Deployers and
ProfileService.
But it's far from ready yet.

> This isn't going to do anything useful for us other than some classloading
> obscurity - modularization is about more than that.  Let's make sure we
> address the whole picture before going down this route.

Like Bill says in some email later on, let's first focus on boot time,
then we can think about modularization -- which I agree is a lot more
than what I proposed, hence called "initial fix".