[jboss-dev] Further profling: Where should I focus?

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Tue Jan 5 11:45:09 EST 2010

On 01/05/2010 10:40 AM, Bill Burke wrote:

> Ales Justin wrote:
>> Perhaps this can be solved by custom (+ temp) deployer,
>> which would create capabilities from those exports,
>> but would just say import-all for imports.
>>

> No shit shirlock...Especially when thats what is being done now.
>
> Again, optimizing this algorithm doesn't matter if jars/directories are
> being browsed.

What do you mean by "browsed"?  If you're going to access any file in a
JAR, you need to scan the (unordered) ZIP directory anyway.  Better to do
it one time and cache it so files can be looked up on an O(1) basis.  And
once you've done that, why not use that data for other purposes?

I can't speak for VFS2 but VFS3 does this in the most efficient way
possible (that I'm aware of).  Building up a provided package list is just
a question of iterating (one time) a directory tree which is fully in-memory.

- DML