[jboss-dev] Further profling: Where should I focus?

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Tue Jan 5 15:56:09 EST 2010

David M. Lloyd wrote:
> Caching behavior depends on the filesystem.  For zip mounts, "isDirectory"
> and "lastModified" don't even hit the filesystem (in most cases).  Don't
> take JProfiler data as real-world timing; it's useful to find slow spots,
> sometimes, but it's not an accurate reflection of what the real speed of
> the thing is.
>
> For real filesystem stuff, you CAN NOT EVER do any form of caching of file
> metainformation because the backing data is not owned by VFS, and thus can
> change without any sort of notice.

You can and should cache everything and anything because the App Server
doesn't need live VFS-based information because 90% of the time it is
static with the other 10% happening on redeployment.

As I stated early, define a parallel non-cache api that invalidates the
cache on diffs for sensitive operations (like hot-deployment).

> Try the test again with a "warmed up" JVM and no profiler agent installed
> and you'll probably see a different story.

No different story here.  JVM "warm up" has no effect.  Still the VFS
taking 60% of the time.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat