[jboss-dev] Further profling: Where should I focus?

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Tue Jan 5 21:39:19 EST 2010

Bill Burke wrote:
> For example I just optimized VirtualFile.isDirectory(), isFile(), and
> getMount() to cache (and invalidate the cache on a mount).  In addition,
> I modified VirtualFile.getChildren() to have the FileSystem create the
> list of VirtualFiles.  Doing so, allowed me to pre-initialize the
> isDirectory cache of the VirtualFile.  I just got a 12% improvement
> (30ms).  This improvement was entirely within determinePackageNames, but
> still.  30ms * 3 (15 meg of jars) * 2 (Packages + Subdeploy scans) ==
> 200ms less of App Server boot time.  Not much, but its a start.

Eh, I guess its all just splitting hairs.  VFS3 is already a huge
improvement over VFS2.  I guess I'll wait and see what the bottleneck is
in AS after AOP, VFS3, and deployer sorting is integrated with AS6 trunk.

Sorry for all the bickering.  VFS3 looks great.

Any ETA on VFS3 being done and integrated with AS 6?

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat