[jboss-dev] AS trunk boot time back to poor?

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Fri Jan 22 10:28:02 EST 2010

On 01/21/2010 10:21 PM, Scott Marlow wrote:

>> Please also resist the urge to shift off of EE 6 work in order to scour
>> all our code for logging cleanups. :)
>>

> If you happen to notice any loggers that are created as instance
> variables, please consider changing them to class (static) variables.
>
> You can check in these changes against JBAS-7291.  The last time I
> looked (early last fall), 6MB of memory was used by 109,552 instances of
> org.jboss.logging.Logger.

This problem should be largely mitigated at this stage.  First, Ales fixed
a bunch of these in MC.  Second, jboss-logging 2.2 and on automatically
share logger instances, so 100,000 references to the same category == one
object (but still an awful lot of redundant references).

However on a typical 64-bit system, 100k instances still == 800k RAM
consumed, so yeah it's still wasteful.  Just not as.

- DML