[jboss-dev] Javaee Spec Jars

Jesper Pedersen jpederse at redhat.com
Fri Jan 22 14:50:16 EST 2010

On Friday 22 January 2010 13:57:21 Brian Stansberry wrote:
> > The project will release the API under its own Maven artifact using the
> > project group id - as the JCA container has a life besides AS.
>
> What is the rationale for this? The naming convention Paul outlined is
> in no way JBoss AS specific. The whole point of this exercise is to
> reduce confusion around what the correct spec impl is for use in
> jboss.org projects. Having two releases of the same thing under the
> org.jboss namespace is totally confusing.

My point is that AS will have one public API and the standalone JCA project
will have its own public API.

Each of these should be clear and documented, and will target different groups
of developers. Yes, with some overlap I know.

> If that point's accepted, I don't see the significance of where in the
> svn repo the source lives. The only thing I could see is if you don't
> want to have the rest of the JCA project depend on an external spec jar,
> but instead manage it as a single project with multiple modules, the way
> the AS was before it was mavenized. But then you're releasing a new
> version of the spec every time the rest of the project needs a release.

EJB3 seems to be managing individual version identifiers for their components
just fine.

Best regards,
 Jesper