[jboss-dev] Documenting the MC codebase

Thomas Diesler thomas.diesler at jboss.com
Mon Mar 1 07:34:27 EST 2010

There is an effort that started in May-2009 which is about providing
better API docs for the MC code base

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBMICROCONT-442

Recently, I came across an open source project that takes a radically
different (read opposite) approach to API docs than we have with the MC
code base.  Mockito says: "all docs are in javadoc"

http://mockito.googlecode.com/svn/tags/latest/javadoc/org/mockito/Mockito.html

Providing documentation in that way is easy for the consumer because it
can always up to date and available online. For the provider of the docs
it's also easy because docs can be changed in the same place were code
changes happen.

As you might guess, improving the docs of the MC code base is important
and dear to me because it represents a significant non-trivial portion
of our infrastructure. New comers can only make qualified changes
effectively when the docs are good.

views?

cheers
-thomas