[jboss-dev] Host and Node name feature

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Tue Mar 2 20:54:09 EST 2010

In case you haven't followed the discussion [1], I've recently added a
concept of a "node name" to JBossAS trunk [2].  This name will initially be
used to identify the Remoting 3 Endpoint which is created for the JBossAS
instance, and could also be reused by other things for similar purposes.
The node name can be found in the "jboss.node.name" system property, and
can be set on the command line with the "-N" or "--nodename" switch.

Because we want to have sensible default for this name, I've also
introduced a pair of properties which may be used to retrieve the system
host name (not to be confused with DNS name; this is the answer you get
back when you run the "hostname" command).  The algorithm I use is
purported to work on all major OSes, but feel free to test that if you
like.  The properties are "jboss.host.name" and
"jboss.qualified.host.name"; you may manually set the host name at boot via
the command line "-H" or "--hostname" switch.

It should be pretty easy to verify the host name detection by checking out
the newly sorted [3] system properties.

One last thing.  A server's host name, while not exactly the Colonel's
secret recipe, still technically represents inside information about the
system, and thus the node name (which may be derived from it) should not be
used directly in anything that might make it out to untrusted systems by
default (read: HTTP cookie values for example) (though there's no reason
why our users/administrators couldn't opt into it).

Have fun.

[1] http://community.jboss.org/message/529257#529257
[2] https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-7779
[3] https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-7776