[jboss-dev] How to bind object to JNDI from jmx-jboss-beans.xml

Adrian Brock abrock at redhat.com
Thu Mar 25 15:05:18 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 13:35 -0500, David M. Lloyd wrote:
> The latter is roughly
> what we do today with RMIAdaptor (sic), so it seems the least invasive to
> me since one would think that things like Twiddle would then only have to
> change the interface of what they pull out of JNDI.

Not really because RMIAdaptor extends
javax.management.MBeanServerConnection
the later is what people should be using rather a jboss api.

P.S. I don't really understand this change.
It breaks a number of "features".

By using the JMX connector in the JDK you loose the ability to do
remote JMX invocations that are involved in user transactions.
It is no longer using org.jboss.invocation.Invocation so the
transaction context will not get propogated.
(Although that interceptor was not included in the default
config so I doubt anybody is doing that).

You're also missing a way to integrate the security with the
java:/jaas/jmx-console policy.

You can't add load balancing/failover which the old
jmx-invoker could do if you configured it.

Finally, you loose the serialization workarounds, e.g.
<!-- Interceptor that deals with non-serializable results -->
<interceptor
code="org.jboss.jmx.connector.invoker.SerializableInterceptor"
                     policyClass="StripModelMBeanInfoPolicy"/>

and the swapping of the MBeanServer to an MBeanServerConnection
when passing MBeanProxys over the network.

Also, it means you pretty much have to use RMI (that's
all that is implemented in the JDK) which a lot
of people don't want to do, its painful through a proxy.

While the old jmx-invoker can be swapped out to use the
HTTPInvoker.
There was a customer on the support list asking about that
only last week.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adrian Brock