[jboss-dev] Public IP address used by JBoss AS

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed May 26 13:45:53 EDT 2010

On 05/26/2010 11:43 AM, Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:
> On 05/26/2010 12:09 PM, Bela Ban wrote:
>> Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>> IMO we would *not* allow these values as a general configuration
>>> option, e.g. in a -jboss-beans.xml:
>>>
>>> <!-- Not supported -->
>>> <property name="bindAddress">PUBLIC</property>
>>
>> -100 IMO: a user may want to define an address based on some criteria,
>> so the above makes perfect sense ! I can even envisage that we support
>> something like this later:
>>
>> <property name="bindAddress">192.168.*,274.2.*,SITE_LOCAL</property>,
>>
>> which means that we should try to pick a site local address starting
>> with 192.168, if not found a global IP address starting with 274.*, and
>> if still not found, go and grab any site local address.
>>
>> All of this logic can be centralized (in JGroups it is in 1 place) and
>> used everywhere.
>
> If we put the resolution logic inside of jboss-bootstrap, any MC
> component can @Inject or<inject>  the JBossASConfiguration and do
> getBindAddress() (even if the input was something like "PUBLIC").  The
> configuration initialization phase would resolve before the server comes up.

If the goal is fine grained configuring what type of interface an
interface uses, then the closest mapping to:

<property name="bindAddress">PUBLIC</property>

is

<property name="bindAddress"><inject bean="JBossASConfiguration"
property="publicAddress"/></property>

So that implies new properties in JBossASConfiguration.

Since this is really an API discussion, I'd still like to hear more
about what the real world use cases are. I get the one where a server
listens on interface X for external requests and uses interface Y for
internal to the cluster traffic. I can dream up others. What other ones
are actually used?

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering