[jboss-dev] Project Versions in jbossas/trunk

Dimitris Andreadis dandread at redhat.com
Thu Sep 16 02:01:51 EDT 2010

Shelly McGowan wrote:

> Referencing this wiki:
>
> http://community.jboss.org/wiki/JBossProjectVersioning
>
> A Candidate Release qualifier is for releases that we anticipate can be the GA release.
>
> The 6.0.0.CR1 release is anticipated to be *the* GA release with a few additional bug fixes.
>
> There are currently 32 components in jbossas/trunk/component-matrix/pom.xml that are versioned with
> the Alpha qualifier, 18 Beta.
>
>>From the same wiki:
> The use of Alpha is for early releases that are not API complete.
>
> The use of Beta qualifier is for releases where the release is API complete, but its not completely tested,
> or there may even be questions about the API itself that may change, even though the implementation is complete.
>
> Is this convention being followed?  If so, jbossas/trunk has 50 components that are not API complete or may change?

We have tried to follow this in the past, but it is obviously not easy due to the number of
people/subprojects involved and the strictness or not of naming their releases according to
the standard. Nevertheless, we need to try get as many components to CR state or better.
However it's in the judgment of the individual leads in coordination with the AS lead to
decide if a particular release is good enough for AS. In many case it'll be a matter of
promoting an Alpha/Beta to CR, or even Final.