[jboss-l10n] My 2 cents

Asgeir Frimannsson asgeirf at redhat.com
Tue May 12 20:21:05 EDT 2009

Hi Thomas,

----- "Thomas Heute" <theute at redhat.com> wrote:
> Are we talking about project ? product ? documentation ? localization
> here ?
>
> I'm totally unsure about the purpose of this ML, so I can be totally
> off-topic but I'll try anyway.

I think in the start this is mainly a list to bring together those that are interested in localisation & translation of JBoss related projects and products.

> Anyway, have someone looked at simplifying help for translating our
> projects and using an infrastructure like:
>
> 	- http://launchpad.net/ (I know this is own by Canonical, but it's
> the best I know)
> 	- https://translate.fedoraproject.org/tx/ (Transifex) (Which isn't as
> good but closer from home)

Myself and another developer in our team are developing a Seam/Hibernate/Richfaces-based application - named 'flies' until someone comes up with a better name - to support translators, initially targeted at JBoss and internal RH translation work.

http://flies.fedorahosted.org/
http://asgeirf.fedorapeople.org/flies_screenshot.png (yes, the UI is not finished)

Within flies, translators will be able to collaborate with each other and organize themselves in communities such as 'Seam translators' and cross-community language/locale-oriented 'tribes'. We hope to evolve flies to support not only documentation and UI translations, but also web content from the various JBoss related sites, perhaps by exposing an API to push/pull content from the flies 'translation repository'.

We hope to have a pilot documentation-project running in flies by 1st June, and incrementally expand it from there. Collaboration, comments, ideas and contributions are very welcome.

Flies is a push in a slightly different direction to e.g. transifex, which has emerged from a 'web ui for submitting files to a version control system' rather than a translation workflow tool. Flies is much more like Launchpad Translations and e.g. Pootle in this sense. ..And definitely much closer to home.

cheers,
asgeir